Thursday 15 September 2016

Steampunk Necklace Tim Holtz Style

Servus, my dear creative friends and followers!

Today I am sharing a little steampunk style necklace with you that I made using Tim Holtz' rectangle Ornate Frame Sizzix BigZ die with shrink plastic, DecoArt media Liquid Glass and some of the cool Tim Holtz idea-ology bits (the cog and the jump rings).

It is also my inspirational project for our September challenge over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges (being part of Team B who always present their makes in the middle of each month).




I got the idea while I created this altered steampunk notebook, so I went ahead and die cut the lovely ornate frame from shrink plastic too (mainly because I wanted to find out if the detail of the ornate frame would get lost during shrinking...which it didn't. Yay!).



Before I went to shrink it using the heat tool, I sprayed the die cut frame using the turquoise DecoArt media Shimmer Mister.



A bit of a golden sheen was added using Gold Rush Metallic Lustre after the frame had shrunk to pendant size.



Then I gathered some small watch parts, a very (!!!) clean non stick craft sheet and the DecoArt media Liquid Glass. I simply placed the frame on the craft sheet and filled the opening with the liquid and placed my cogs and gears and other bits into it using a pair of tweezers.



Then I added some IndigoBlu gilding flakes....


...and put some more Liquid Glass on top. As you can see it looked quite uneven at that stage but as the Liquid Glass is self levelling...


... it had all turned into a flat surface after a few minutes.



All I had to do now was wait and let my pendant dry naturally. And be very very patient! *sigh
After I had used quite a thick layer of Liquid Glass I left my piece untouched for two full days. And I really managed not to touch it too soon!!!!
It would have been such a shame if I had left a fingerprint by testing too early!!!



Then I gathered my idea-ology jump rings, some idea-ology cogs and a turquoise bead from my stash and played around with all the bits until...


...I was content with the look of my necklace. Et voilá!




I hope you like my little easy-to-make pendant and the necklace! Please, hop over to our steampunk challenge blog to check out the makes of my teamies AND the projects already entered - there's so much inspiration there to gather! I hope to see you play along with us soon!

Hugs and happy crafting,
Claudia
xxx


5 comments:

  1. That is FABULOUS Claudia! Must try that frame idea - just got some shrink plastic :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Claudia, never thought of using the liquid glass like this! Fabulous pendant! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning Claudia - love this and want the supplies to make my own too Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claudia, this is so freaking cool! I love how you embedded the gears and the leafing! Dangly gears and balloon and rock...are wonderful! Such a cool way to use the frame. hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome. Thank you for sharing; now I need to buy some shrink plastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx